Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
3 relieved of command in Marine training accident in Nevada
First Published May 09 2013 09:30 am • Last Updated May 09 2013 09:31 am

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. • Three Marine Corps officers at North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune have been relieved of their command nearly two months after a training accident that killed seven Marines in Nevada.

A battalion commander, a company commander and an infantry weapons officer have been relieved after a mortar tube exploded during a field exercise March 18 at Hawthorne Army Depot, the Marines said Wednesday. Seven Marines and a sailor also were wounded.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The officers relieved were Lt. Col. Andrew McNulty, Capt. Kelby Breivogel and Chief Warrant Officer 3 Douglas Derring. The decision was made by Brig. Gen. James Lukeman, the 2nd Marine Division commander.

"Specifically for Lt. Col McNulty, he was relieved because of a loss of confidence in his ability to continue commanding the battalion," Lt. Peter Koerner, a spokesman for the 2nd Marine Division, said Thursday.

He did not have details on why the other two were relieved, but said all three remain active duty Marines. It was not immediately know what their new assignments would be.

No one has been charged with any sort of crime because of the training accident, and no charges are expected, Koerner said.

Asked if there might be other sanctions, such as letters of reprimand for the three officers, Koerner said "there could be, but generally that is administrative and we don’t discuss that."

The accident prompted the Pentagon to suspend use of 60 mm mortars — like those being used during the training exercise — until the investigation was done. Troops in Afghanistan were exempted from the suspension.

The suspension, in effect until the accident investigation is complete, largely affects units that are training, although those Marines could use the larger and more powerful 81 mm mortar systems if needed.

Koerner said the ongoing investigation is nearing a completion, although he did not have a specific timetable for its finish. The findings will eventually be released in a report, he said.

story continues below
story continues below

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.