< Previous Page
Michelle Knight’s mother, Barbara Knight, told the "Today" show that she hasn’t seen her daughter yet, but hopes she knows she loves and missed her. She said they had a tense relationship before Michelle’s disappearance and at the time thought her daughter maybe just didn’t want to see her family anymore. She said Michelle Knight’s child had been removed from the home just before her disappearance, and thought perhaps she had vanished because she was upset about "the baby."
"I know she’s probably angry at the world because she probably thought she’d never be found," she said.
Amanda Berry’s sister offers thanks, seeks privacy
The sister of Amanda Berry, one of the three women freed after being held captive for about a decade at an Ohio home, has made a brief statement saying the family is thankful for the community’s support but is asking for privacy.
Berry arrived at her sister’s house Wednesday morning.
Charges against the man who owns the home and his two brothers are expected to come Wednesday.
Hospital: 1 of 3 Ohio women in good condition
A Cleveland hospital says one of three women found alive in a house this week is now in good condition.
On Tuesday, Metro Health Medical Center had said Michelle Knight had been released. On Wednesday, a hospital spokeswoman said Knight was in good condition at the hospital. It’s not clear whether Knight was readmitted or if she actually never left the hospital.
The three women were rescued from captivity Monday. The other two were released from the same hospital Tuesday morning.
Police say Knight was the first of the three abducted in 2002.
Knight added that she hopes their past tension can heal, and she wants to take her daughter back to Florida, where she now lives.
In 1993, Castro was arrested two days after Christmas on a domestic-violence charge and spent three days in jail before he was released on bond. The case was presented to a grand jury, but no indictment was returned, according to court documents, which don’t detail the allegations. It’s unclear who brought the charge against Castro, who was living at the home from which the women escaped Monday.
Four years ago, in another poverty-stricken part of town, police were heavily criticized following the discovery of 11 women’s bodies in the home and backyard of Anthony Sowell, who was later convicted of murder and sentenced to death.
The families of Sowell’s victims accused police of failing to properly investigate the disappearances because most of the women were addicted to drugs and poor. For months, the stench of death hung over the house, but it was blamed on a sausage factory next door.
Following public outrage over the killings, a panel formed by the mayor recommended an overhaul of the city’s handling of missing-person and sex crime investigations.
Many of the women’s loved ones and friends had held out hope of seeing them again,
For years, Berry’s mother kept her room exactly as it was, said Tina Miller, a cousin. When magazines addressed to Berry arrived, they were piled in the room alongside presents for birthdays and Christmases she missed. Berry’s mother died in 2006.
Just over a month ago, Miller attended a vigil marking the 10th anniversary of Berry’s disappearance.
Over the past decade or so, investigators twice dug up backyards looking for Berry and continued to receive tips about her and DeJesus every few months, even in recent years. The disappearance of the two girls was profiled on TV’s "America’s Most Wanted" in 2005. Few leads ever came in about Knight.
Knight vanished at age 20 in 2002. Berry disappeared at 16 in 2003, when she called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from her job at a Burger King. About a year later, DeJesus vanished.
Jessica Aponce, 24, said she walked home with DeJesus the day the teenager disappeared.
"She called her mom and told her mom she was on her way home and that’s the last time I seen her," Aponce said. "I just can’t wait to see her. I’m just so happy she’s alive. It’s been so many years that everybody thinking she was dead."
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children’s CEO, John Ryan, said Berry, DeJesus and Knight likely would be honored by his group.
"I think they’re going to be at the top of the list," he said.
Associated Press writers Andrew Welsh-Huggins, Jesse Washington, Mike Householder and freelance reporter John Coyne in Cleveland, Dan Sewell in Cincinnati, John Seewer in Toledo, Mitch Stacy and Kantele Franko in Columbus and Holly Ramer in Concord, N.H., contributed to this report.
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.