Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
FILE - This combination of undated file photos shows Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, left, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19. (AP Photo/The Lowell Sun & Robin Young, File)
Boston bombing suspect moved from hospital to prison
First Published Apr 26 2013 08:08 am • Last Updated Apr 26 2013 09:27 pm

BOSTON • Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who had been hospitalized since his arrest a week ago, has been moved to a prison at Fort Devens, Mass., the U.S. Marshals Service said Friday.

The 19-year-old ethnic Chechen, who was badly wounded in an overnight shootout last week with police hours after authorities released pictures of him and his older brother, also a suspect, had previously been held at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, where some of the victims also were being treated.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Tsarnaev’s older brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, died in the shootout.

Tsarnaev was charged on Monday with the April 15 bombing, which killed three and wounded 264 at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. If convicted, he faces the possibility of the death penalty.

"The U.S. Marshals Service confirms that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been transported from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and is now confined at the Bureau of Prisons facility FMC Devens at Ft. Devens, Mass.," said U.S. Marshals Service spokesman Drew Wade.

Devens, Mass., is about 40 miles west of Boston. The prison there specializes in inmates who need long-term medical or mental health, according to the Bureau of Prisons website. It holds about 1,000 prisoners.

Authorities say the brothers set off a pair of homemade bombs at the marathon on April 15. Three days later, the FBI and police identified the men in photos and videos taken at the scene.

The brothers are also suspected of shooting Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, 26, on April 18 and then hijacking a man in a car, which they planned to drive to New York City to set off additional explosives in Times Square.

Their plan was foiled when the car, a Mercedes sport-utility vehicle, ran low on fuel and they stopped for gas, giving the man a chance to escape.

Their carjacking victim was a 26-year-old man of Chinese origin who goes by the American nickname "Danny," the Boston Globe reported on Friday. The newspaper did not publish his Chinese name at his request.


story continues below
story continues below

"I don’t want to die," the man recalled thinking as the brothers drove him around for some 90 minutes, making banal small talk, according to an interview with the Globe. "I have a lot of dreams that haven’t come true yet."

Danny, who is trained as an engineer, kept the brothers calm by playing up his outsider status, although at first they were puzzled by his Chinese accent, the Globe said. After determining that the victim was Chinese, Tamerlan Tsarnaev identified himself as a Muslim, the newspaper reported.

"Chinese are very friendly to Muslims!" Danny said, according to the interview. "We are so friendly to Muslims."

One of the three people who died in the bombing was also Chinese, 23-year-old graduate student Lingzi Lu. An 8-year-old boy, Martin Richard, and 29-year-old restaurant manager Krystle Campbell also were killed in the attack.

The brothers’ parents, father Anzor Tsarnaev and mother Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, told reporters on Thursday in Makhachkala, the capital of Russia’s Dagestan region, that they believed their son was innocent.

The father said he planned to travel to Boston to bury Tamerlan.

This week, lawmakers demanded answers about what the U.S. government knew about the suspects before the bombing. In 2011, Russia had asked the FBI to question Tamerlan because of concerns that he may have been a radical Islamist.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.