Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
No appeal from Breivik as case formally ends
First Published Sep 07 2012 12:06 pm • Last Updated Sep 07 2012 12:06 pm

OSLO, Norway • Far-right gunman Anders Behring Breivik stuck to his decision not to appeal a terror conviction and prison sentence Friday, formally closing the legal proceedings for Norway’s worst peacetime massacre.

Breivik, whose bomb and shooting attacks shocked Norway on July 22 last year, was sentenced two weeks ago to a 21-year prison term that can be extended for as long as the self-described "militant nationalist" is considered a danger to society.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The 33-year-old Norwergian told the court at the time that he wouldn’t challenge the ruling and had not changed his mind on Friday, the last day of the appeals period, defense lawyer Geir Lippestad said.

"There is no doubt that the July 22 case is over today," Lippestad told reporters after meeting his client in prison.

Breivik set off a bomb that killed eight people and injured more than 200 in Oslo’s government district, before opening fire at the left-leaning Labor Party’s annual youth camp, killing 69, most of them teenagers, on Utoya island.

Throughout his trial, he showed no remorse and accused his victims of betraying Norway by embracing a multicultural society.

Many outside observers were bewildered by the court’s painstaking efforts to make sure Breivik was treated no differently than any other defendant, even though he didn’t even recognize the authority of the court.

Prosecutors politely shook his hand before hearings. On the stand, he was given several opportunities to explain his radical anti-Muslim views.

"All these things that we think are so important to support the rule of law, the rest of the world found odd," Lippestad said. "I am very proud of Norway and the way Norway has resolved this."




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.