Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Police surround part of a group of protesting cyclists who tried to block traffic with a mass cycle ride on a road outside the Olympic Park during the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics, Friday, July 27, 2012, in London. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)
3 charged for cyclist protest outside Olympic Park
First Published Jul 29 2012 01:40 pm • Last Updated Jul 29 2012 02:06 pm

London » London police arrested 182 activists on bicycles who tried to breach the Olympic Park’s security cordon during the games’ opening ceremony, officials said Sunday.

Three people have been charged with various offenses during Friday night’s protest, while the rest were released pending further questioning, Scotland Yard said.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Police — who had earlier mistakenly said they had charged four people — confirmed that a 35-year-old Portuguese man, a 34-year-old Italian man and a 51-year-old man from east London will appear in court accused of public order offenses.

Scotland Yard said it knew a monthly protest by cyclists was planned for Friday but ordered the protesters to remain south of the River Thames to keep them from blocking more than 80,000 ticket-holders from the Olympics’ opening ceremony.

Police said around 400 to 500 people attempted to cross the Thames to the Stratford area, where the Olympic Park is located, defying police warnings and attempts to stop them. The cyclists then split into small groups and some managed to reach Stratford.

Scotland Yard said it respected that people had a right to protest, but said officers must stop protesters who affect Olympic athletes, spectators and ordinary Londoners. It said officers began arresting the cyclists only after they ignored verbal warnings to leave.

The anti-capitalist group Occupy London, part of a global movement protesting financial institutions and capitalist policies, said some of the cyclists were members. They said police cordoned off more than 100 cyclists at one junction near the stadium as Friday’s ceremony was beginning and held them there for several hours.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.