Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Two children left in hot cars; 1 dies
First Published Jul 08 2012 02:17 pm • Last Updated Jul 08 2012 02:20 pm

Indianapolis » Two young children were left locked in stifling hot vehicles in Indianapolis on Saturday. By the time they were found, one was dead and the other was in critical condition after a heat-related seizure.

In Greenfield, Ind., Police Chief John Jester said the death of a 3-month-old girl was under investigation after she was found in a car. The girl was left in the car for "an extended period of time," the chief said. The baby was brought to Hancock Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

At a glance

Tips on avoiding a tragedy

Never leave kids alone in a hot car, even briefly.

Always check the front and back seats of the car before you lock it and leave.

See a kid alone in a hot car? Call 911 immediately. Get them out ASAP if they are in distress.

Put your purse, briefcase, or something else you need by the car seat so you don’t forget to check.

Always lock your car when it’s empty so kids can’t get in without you knowing.

Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Jester said Saturday night that the father, Joshua Stryzanski, faces a charge of neglect of a dependent resulting in death.

A similar incident happened about the same time in Fishers, Ind., where a passerby at a shopping center noticed a small girl alone in a parked Ford Explorer.

Police broke out a window to pull the 16-month-old girl from the SUV. She suffered a seizure before medics transported her to Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis, said Fishers Police Public Information Officer Tom Weger.

Officials said the temperature inside the car after the window was broken was 124 degrees.

The child’s mother, Meg Trueblood, 30, of Fishers, was shopping in the Simply Chic clothing store at the center for about an hour while her daughter was left in the locked SUV, Weger said.

Trueblood was preliminarily charged with felony neglect of a child and was being held in the Hamilton County Jail, Weger said. He said Trueblood made a statement to police but, "she didn’t appear to be fully coherent. That’ll be part of the investigation."

The high temperature in Indianapolis on Saturday was 105 degrees, which broke the previous record for the day of 101 set in 1936.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.