Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
A Jewish settler is stopped at a checkpoint manned by Israeli border police near a house illegally occupied by settlers in the West Bank city of Hebron, Wednesday, April 4, 2012. Israeli security forces began evicting dozens of settlers Wednesday from a building they illegally took over and lived in without the required military approval in Hebron, police said.(AP Photo/Sebastian Scheiner)
Israeli forces evict settlers in West Bank city of Hebron
First Published Apr 04 2012 07:36 pm • Last Updated Apr 04 2012 07:36 pm

Hebron, West Bank • Israeli security forces swiftly evicted dozens of Jewish settlers from an illegally occupied building in this volatile West Bank city on Wednesday, ending a weeklong standoff that had threatened to spill over into broader violence.

The raid caught the settlers off guard. Only a day earlier, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had moved to block the eviction order. Settler supporters in Netanyahu’s hard-line government condemned the surprise raid, a key political ally threatened to quit the coalition and settler leaders vowed retaliation.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"He is expelling us from our property and land," said David Wilder, spokesman for Hebron’s tiny, ultranationalist settler community. "We will be back in that building. It belongs to us."

Hebron, the traditional burial site of Abraham, the shared patriarch of both Jews and Muslims, is the only place where Jews live in the heart of a West Bank city. Arab-Israeli violence there dates back decades, and clashes are frequent.

About 850 settlers now live in Hebron in heavily guarded enclaves among 180,000 Palestinians. Hundreds of Israeli soldiers enforce a rigid separation between the two sides.

The settlers seized the home in an overnight raid last Thursday, claiming they had purchased it from a Palestinian landowner. But the military subsequently ordered them to leave the building because they had not received proper approval to live there.

After Netanyahu’s call for a legal review of the matter on Tuesday, it appeared the evictions would be on hold. But government officials said Netanyahu’s attorney general determined the home should be cleared out immediately.

Hundreds of police ringed the apartment building around midday on Wednesday. Settler leaders said about 70 people moved into the building last week. But only 15 or so, including children, were inside when the raid was launched, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

He said an eviction order was ripped up by one of the people inside, but otherwise there was no resistance.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who oversees the military occupation of the West Bank, promised to "continue to act to uphold the law and democracy while safeguarding the state’s authority over its citizens."


story continues below
story continues below

Authorities were still investigating whether the house was legally purchased as the settlers claim, Barak said.

Barak heads a small, centrist faction in a government coalition that is otherwise dominated by hard-line parties sympathetic to Jewish settlers, who are intent on cementing Israel’s control over the West Bank.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who heads the nationalist Yisrael Beitenu party, said the settler eviction "shakes the stability of the coalition."

Hebron settlers are among the most militant in the West Bank, territory they believe God promised to Jews.

After Wednesday’s raid, one of the most militant settler leaders, Baruch Marzel, warned of retaliatory attacks.

"No one wants more violence," Marzel said, but added that "when the racist government that doesn’t let the Jews buy a house in the land of Israel ... I think violence is a reaction to the racist government."

The raid came shortly after Netanyahu announced new moves to try to save unauthorized settler construction in the West Bank from demolition.

The prime minister said he asked the attorney general to find a way to save the unauthorized Ulpana outpost from its Supreme Court-ordered demolition. Five apartment buildings are to be razed by May 1.

Netanyahu said he also plans to supply the necessary approvals to legalize three other enclaves settlers built without government authorization.

About 500,000 Jews have moved to the West Bank and east Jerusalem since Israel captured the territories in the 1967 Mideast war.

Palestinians want both territories as the heart of their hoped-for state and see all settlement there as undercutting their aspirations to statehood. The international community opposes all settlement construction.

Next Page >


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.