Golf: BYU's Lea Garner is Women's State Amateur medalist
Ogden • BYU golfer Lea Garner breezed to medalist honors by nine shots as stroke-play qualifying concluded Thursday in the Women's State Amateur at the Ogden Golf and Country Club.
Garner shot 67-67 for a total of 10-under-par 134, followed by San Diego State golfer Sirene Blair (75-68) of South Jordan.
No playoff was required to determine the 15 golfers who advanced to match play, along with two-time defending champion Kelsey Chugg, the automatic No. 1 seed. As it turned out, Chugg (80-78) posted the 16th-best total.
Among the match play contestants are Utah Valley University coach Sue Nyhus and her daughter, Kimberly, who plays for the Wolverines. The round of 16 will be staged Friday morning, followed by the quarterfinals. The semifinals and 18-hole championship match are scheduled for Saturday.
Women's State Amateur
• No. 1 Kelsey Chugg (automatic) vs. No. 16 Annette Gaiotti (158)
• No. 2 Lea Garner (134) vs. No. 15 Brooklyn Anderson (156)
• No. 3 Sirene Blair (143) vs. No. 14 Xena Motes (156)
• No. 4 Allison Cluff (146) vs. No. 13 Kristie Jensen (155)
• No. 5 Sadie Palmer (148) vs. No. 12 Sue Nyhus (154)
• No. 6 Tara Green (149) vs. No. 11 Annie Yang (153)
• No. 7 Kimberly Nyhus (149) vs. No. 10 Madi Rooker (151)
• No. 8 Emily Podlesny (150) vs. No. 9 Kendra Dalton (151)
See more about comments here.