Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
FIFA rejects calls to strip Russia of World Cup
First Published Jul 25 2014 11:50 pm • Last Updated Jul 25 2014 11:50 pm

Soccer • FIFA rejected calls to move the 2018 World Cup from Russia, saying the tournament "can achieve positive change."

Some lawmakers in Germany want the hosting rights reviewed because of Russia’s alleged involvement in shooting down a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine last week.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Political pressure on Russia increased Friday when the European Union sought to freeze assets and restrict travel for more individuals and businesses.

FIFA said in a statement it "deplores any form of violence" but questions the purpose of relocating the showcase tournament.

"History has shown so far that boycotting sport events or a policy of isolation or confrontation are not the most effective ways to solve problems," FIFA said, adding that global attention on the World Cup "can be a powerful catalyst for constructive dialogue between people and governments."

The conflict between Ukraine and pro-Russia separatist rebels escalated days after the World Cup ended in Brazil. On July 13 in Rio de Janeiro, Russian President Vladimir Putin attended a World Cup handover ceremony with Brazilian counterpart Dilma Rousseff. Both then sat next to FIFA President Sepp Blatter to watch the final at the Maracana Stadium, won by Germany.

Striker Drogba returns to Chelsea

soccer • Didier Drogba rejoined Chelsea on Friday, reuniting one of the sport’s most theatrical characters with flamboyant manager Jose Mourinho. The 36-year-old Ivory Coast striker, who was a free agent after stints with China’s Shanghai Shenhua and Turkey’s Galatasaray, signed a season-long deal with the Premier League club. With the last kick with the club in May 2012, Drogba won the Champions League title for Chelsea, scoring the decisive penalty in the shootout against Bayern Munich.

Mourinho, who was away from Chelsea from 2007-13, is reshaping the team after failing to win a trophy in his first season back at Stamford Bridge.


story continues below
story continues below

Isner, Sock reach Atlanta semifinals

tennis • Top-seeded defending champion John Isner and Jack Sock each rallied from early deficits to set up an all-America semifinal in the Atlanta Open. Isner beat Marinko Matosevic 7-6 (8), 6-4 . Sock later topped Slovakia’s Lukas Lacko, 7-6 (6), 6-2. Germany’s Ben Becker beat Dutchman Thiemo de Bakker 6-4, 6-2, and will face either Israel’s Dudi Sela or Canada’s Vasek Pospisil of Canada.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.