Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
President Barack Obama holds up a '12th man' banner as he welcomes the NFL Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks football team to the East Room of the White House in Washington, Wednesday, May 21, 2014. The Seahawks defeated the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
NFL notes: 49ers’ Smith pleads no contest to gun charges, DUI

The Associated Press

First Published May 21 2014 09:11 pm • Last Updated May 21 2014 09:25 pm

San Francisco • San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith pleaded no contest Wednesday to three felony weapons charges and two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence.

The 24-year-old Smith entered his pleas in a Santa Clara County Superior Courtroom in San Jose. He faces a sentence ranging from spending no time in custody to a maximum of four years and four months behind bars at a judge’s discretion, prosecutors said.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Smith is scheduled to be sentenced on July 25 — two days after the 49ers are to open training camp in Santa Clara.

"Mr. Smith has now accepted responsibility and has pleaded to all of the charges," Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen said.

"We are aware that Aldon entered a plea today in a case that we have closely monitored," 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke said in a statement Wednesday. "Today was an important step towards bringing that situation to a resolution."

Smith’s lawyer, Joshua M. Bentley, released a statement, saying his client "has never wavered from his commitment to do the right thing in this case."

Smith "has accepted and continues to accept responsibility for his actions. We are looking forward to the next court appearance and are confident that the court will reach an appropriate sentence," the statement read.

In November, Smith pleaded not guilty to three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon after deputies said they found three assault rifles while responding to a complaint about a party in June 2012 at Smith’s home. During the party, Smith fired a handgun in the air and was stabbed as two other people were shot during a melee, authorities said.

While the three rifles were legally bought in Arizona, Santa Clara County prosecutors say the weapons are illegal in California.

The DUI charges were filed after Smith’s car smashed into a tree in San Jose in September as police said his blood-alcohol level was twice the legal limit.


story continues below
story continues below

A fearsome pass-rusher, Smith took a five-game leave of absence from the 49ers to undergo treatment for substance abuse last season. He finished the 2013 regular season with 8 ½ sacks and 34 tackles in 11 games with eight starts after having a franchise-record 19 ½ sacks in 2012.

In January, Smith said during an interview with The Associated Press he was encouraged by the strides he had made to better himself off the football field that put life — and his work — in perspective.

But last month Smith was arrested at the Los Angeles International Airport after authorities said he became belligerent during a security screening and threatened that he had a bomb.

The Los Angeles District Attorney’s office said Smith wouldn’t be charged with a felony, but city attorneys who handle misdemeanors are still investigating. Smith has not commented on the incident.

Around the league

Browns • Rookie Johnny Manziel and Brian Hoyer, fighting it out to be Cleveland’s starting quarterback, were on the field together Wednesday for the second day of organized team activities under first-year Browns coach Mike Pettine, who earlier this week said he doesn’t want the battle between the two "to be warm and fuzzy." The Browns expect Manziel, the former Texas A&M star taken in the first round of the NFL draft, to challenge Hoyer, who is coming off right knee surgery.

Vikings • Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton and other officials said Wednesday they’ll probably ask the Legislature for more tax breaks to sweeten the 2018 Super Bowl for fans now that the NFL has awarded the big game to Minneapolis. The city celebrated a day after Minneapolis was picked, largely because of the $1 billion stadium being built where the Metrodome used to stand.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.