Madrid • Roger Federer withdrew from the Madrid Open on Tuesday to spend more time with his family ahead of the birth of his third child.
Federer said on his webpage on Tuesday he was pulling out of the tournament "to be with my wife Mirka during these next few exciting weeks for our family." The fourth-ranked Swiss player, who already has twins, said he would "rejoin the tour soon."
Federer’s announcement means he will likely miss the Rome Masters next week. He’s previously suggested he would skip the French Open beginning on May 25 if it conflicted with the birth. Federer, a three-time winner in Madrid, hasn’t missed a Grand Slam tournament since 2000.
Federer’s 28-5 record on the season is the ATP’s best, with the former No. 1 having won a title in Dubai.
Polish player Lukasz Kubot took Federer’s place in the Madrid draw, and faced Gilles Simon of France in a second-round match on Tuesday.
Second-ranked Novak Djokovic also withdrew from Madrid because of a long-term wrist injury.
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.