Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Rafael Nadal of Spain, acknowledges applause after defeating Andreas Seppi of Italy during their third round match of the Monte Carlo Tennis Masters tournament in Monaco, Thursday, April 17, 2014. Nadal won 6-1 6-3. (AP Photo/Michel Euler)
Tennis: Djokovic, Nadal race into Monte Carlo quarters
First Published Apr 17 2014 09:03 am • Last Updated Apr 18 2014 05:34 pm

Monaco • Defending champion Novak Djokovic raced into the Monte Carlo Masters quarterfinals in dispatching Pablo Carreno Busta of Spain 6-0, 6-1 in 47 minutes on Thursday.

Eight-time champion Rafael Nadal also had little trouble, beating Italian Andreas Seppi 6-1, 6-3, while fourth-seeded Roger Federer shook off a slow start in a 6-4, 6-1 win against Czech player Lukas Rosol.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The second-seeded Djokovic won his second-round opener in 45 minutes and has yet to be tested this week. He next faces Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez. The top-seeded Nadal has looked sloppy at times.

"Lost only two games in the first two matches (here). Can’t be better than this, for sure," Djokovic said. "I am confident on the court. I’m coming off a great American hard-court season."

Djokovic sealed the 22-minute first set with a crisp forehand. Carreno Busta received loud cheers, clenched his fists and grinned broadly when he won his only game for 3-1 in the second. Djokovic served out, tormenting him one last time with an exquisite drop shot.

He is aiming for his fifth straight Masters win. He won at Indian Wells and Key Biscayne, dominating Nadal in the latter final to record his third straight win against him in straight sets.

"I’ve had more time comparing to last year to practice on the clay courts and to get my game to the level where I want it to be," Djokovic said.

Nadal achieved his 300th win on clay in beating Seppi. He won this title for eight straight years until last year when he lost the final to Djokovic.

"Today I played a little bit better than yesterday," Nadal said. "I was playing at a good level."

He next faces sixth-seeded David Ferrer, who easily beat Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria 6-4, 6-2, while Federer will face ninth-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.


story continues below
story continues below

Nadal has a 21-5 career record against countryman Ferrer, winning 10 of the past 11 meetings.

"David is a tough, tough player on any surface," Nadal said. "But here on clay, always a big challenge."

Rosol, meanwhile, broke Federer in the third game and held for 3-1.

"It was a bit rocky in the beginning," Federer said.

He broke back with a stinging cross-court forehand at Rosol’s feet, and then broke him to love. He clinched the set when Rosol’s forehand sailed long.

Federer has a 10-4 record against Tsonga, who beat him in the French Open quarterfinals last year and in the Wimbledon quarters in 2011.

"I’ve seen Jo play different kind of quality matches lately, so not quite sure he’s going to play, how aggressive, how passive," Federer said.

Third-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka and eighth-seeded Milos Raonic of Canada also advanced for a quarterfinal matchup.

Having taken only 46 minutes to win his second-round match, Wawrinka didn’t even need to lift a racket after Spaniard Nicolas Almagro pulled out because of pain in his left foot. Raonic beat Tommy Robredo of Spain 6-3, 6-4.

Tsonga won 5-7, 6-3, 6-0 against Fabio Fognini of Italy, who did his best to spoil the Frenchman’s 29th birthday with his wild antics, including smashing rackets and shouting loudly.

In the day’s only upset, Garcia-Lopez beat fifth-seeded Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic 4-6, 6-3, 6-1.

The only other time Garcia-Lopez reached a Masters last eight was in Shanghai four years ago, when he lost to Djokovic, who leads 5-0 in their head-to-heads.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.