Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Olympics: Bach promises action on delays threatening 2016 Games in Rio
First Published Apr 09 2014 08:19 am • Last Updated Apr 10 2014 04:59 pm

Belek, Turkey • With sports federations demanding a "Plan B" because of the chronic delays in Rio de Janeiro, IOC President Thomas Bach promised Wednesday to take action to ease the crisis threatening the 2016 Olympics.

Bach and other Olympic officials said the construction holdups and political paralysis have reached a critical point, requiring the IOC to take special measures to save the games.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"It is about time for action," Bach said following an unprecedented venting of criticism and complaints from international sports leaders about the lack of progress in Rio.

"We share their concerns," he added. "We will address them. We will do everything we can do make these games a success."

Bach said the International Olympic Committee executive board would meet later Wednesday to discuss the Rio situation and decide on what action to take. He did not say what steps might be implemented.

Several sports federations asked about "Plan B" contingencies for their venues and one — handball — asked if there was a backup for the games themselves if Rio won’t be ready on time.

Without completely ruling out moving the games out of Brazil, the IOC and other Olympic officials made clear they expect the games to take place in Rio but the timelines are extremely tight.

"If action is taken now, then we can deliver and Rio can deliver," said Gilbert Felli, the IOC’s executive director of the Olympic Games.

Leaders of 18 different federations spoke out about Rio’s troubled preparations in a meeting with Bach and the IOC board. All but one — volleyball — raised serious concerns.

"The general feeling is that we are in the most critical situation in the preparation for the games that has happened in the last 20 years at least," said Francesco Ricci Bitti, head of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations.


story continues below
story continues below

Ricci Bitti said the sports raising the issue of a "Plan B" were referring to venue plans, not moving the games.

"We are not at this stage," he said, adding that basketball, for example, could consider playing some games in Sao Paolo if the Deodoro venue won’t be ready.

The Italian urged Bach to make another trip to Brazil soon to meet with government leaders and organizers. Bach traveled to Brazil in January for talks with President Dilma Rousseff.

Bach told the delegates Wednesday that he had told Rousseff there was "not a single day to lose," and that the IOC’s coordination commission for Rio warned organizers last month there was "not a single hour to lose."

Bach said he was waiting for more details of Tuesday’s meeting in Brasilia between Rio organizers and Rousseff’s chief of staff. Brazil’s sports ministry said the deadlines would be met "and the games themselves would take place without disorder."

Bach noted that the IOC will be sending several task forces — made up of groups of experts in various fields — to Rio to monitor the situation. Felli will be assigned to work with Rio when he steps down from his IOC position later this year.

Ricci Bitti said the Olympic project is in danger of falling further behind because of the upcoming World Cup in Brazil and presidential election in October.

"We require you to take action immediately," the Italian told Bach. " We cannot waste these next six months."

The greatest concerns center on the Deodoro complex, an area that is to host venues for eight sports — shooting, equestrian, modern pentathlon, canoe-slalom, rugby, basketball, cycling and field hockey. Work has yet to begin on the site.

Next Page >


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.