Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
MLB: Jimmy Rollins back in lineup after three days off
First Published Mar 13 2014 11:08 pm • Last Updated Mar 13 2014 11:33 pm

Clearwater, Fla. • Jimmy Rollins will be back in the Philadelphia Phillies’ starting lineup Friday following a mysterious three-game benching.

When he arrived at Bright House Field on Thursday, Rollins said he was healthy and ready to play. He was unsure why manager Ryne Sandberg decided to rest him for third consecutive game.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Sandberg and Rollins spoke before the game against a New York Yankees’ split squad and Sandberg said resting Rollins was not a disciplinary decision.

Rollins is in the lineup for Friday’s game against the Pirates in Bradenton, Fla.

Sandberg said he wanted to give Freddy Galvis some at-bats and ration the playing time of Rollins and second baseman Chase Utley with opening day still a few weeks off.

"First of all I wanted to see Freddy play three days in a row," Sandberg said. "He has got his playing time and at-bats coming up. It’s also a long season playing up the middle, so with him and Chase, I’m careful with their days."

Sandberg did want to speak with Rollins prior to Thursday’s game about comments the veteran shortstop made in the Philadelphia Daily News earlier in the week.

Warthen apologizes for racial slur

Port St. Lucie, Fla. • Dan Warthen and the Mets apologized after the team’s pitching coach used a racial slur in describing the translator for New York pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka.


story continues below
story continues below

"I apologize for the thoughtless remarks that I made yesterday in the clubhouse," Warthen said in statement released by the team Wednesday. "They were a poor attempt at humor but were wrong and inappropriate in any setting. I am very sorry."

Warthen approached translator Jeff Cutler, a Japanese-American, on Monday and apologized for jokingly calling him a "Chinaman" the previous day, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Arruebarrena reports to Dodgers

Glendale, Ariz. • Cuban shortstop Erisbel Arruebarrena reported to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday, nearly three weeks after agreeing to a $25 million, five-year contract.

"I’ve thought about this for a year," Arruebarrena said through an interpreter. "I’m just happy to be with the Dodger organization."



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.