Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Steve Griffin | The Salt Lake Tribune) Antonio Marttos, Team Brazilian Physician, left, and Holly Ledyard, University of Utah Health Care Neurointensivist , listen as Andrew Dailey, University of Utah Health Care Neurosurgeon, uses a spinal column model to show where Lais Souza, a 25-year-old member of the Brazilian Winter Olympic team, dislocated her neck between the third and fourth cervical, during a press conference updating the condition of Souza who was critically injured while training in Park City, Utah on Monday January 27, 2014. The doctors said she is currently being cared for in the Neuro Critical Care Unit at University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City. Press conference was held at the University of Utah Guest House in Salt Lake City, Utah Thursday, January 30, 2014.
Olympics: Paralyzed Brazilian skier remains critical

Olympic hopeful was recreational skiing at time of accident.

First Published Jan 30 2014 01:52 pm • Last Updated Jan 30 2014 11:11 pm

The Brazilian aerial skier training for the Olympics paralyzed in an accident in Park City was recreational skiing at the time of her injury, the doctors treating her at the University of Utah said in a press conference Thursday.

Lais da Silva Souza, 25, has been in critical condition at the University of Utah’s Neuro Critical Care Unit since hitting a tree while skiing Monday in Park City.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

A two-time Olympic gymnast, Souza does not have an extensive history on the slopes and had only begun skiing in recent months. But Holly Ledyard, a neurointensivist who has been treating Souza, said the accident did not come in the course of her training for the Sochi Games.

"It could have been anybody," Ledyard said. "It could have been you or me on the ski slopes. The fact that she’s an Olympic athlete doing what she’s doing, or that she’s from Brazil and is not used to snow, I don’t think plays a part in her injury."

Souza has had multiple operations since the accident to realign a dislocation near the top of her spinal cord that has left her without the use of her arms and legs. She remains critical, on a ventilator to help her breathe, and her doctors said the chances of a recovery are uncertain. A recovery could take anywhere from weeks to years.

"We need to give her some time for the spinal cord swelling to resolve and see how she does," said Andrew Dailey, the neurosurgeon who performed the operations on Souza.

"People can recover but it simply takes time to know whether that’s going to happen. … Obviously this is just the early days."

It’s unclear if Souza ever will be able to breathe on her own, causing the doctors to keep her condition classified as critical.

"That’s precisely what makes her injury potentially lethal and life-threatening," Ledyard said, adding that Souza would have died if she had not received proper medical care on the mountain following the accident.

Unable to speak due to the ventilator, Souza is using a machine that tracks her eye movement and blinking to communicate. Ledyard said she remains in high spirits, despite her condition.

story continues below
story continues below

"She’s eager to work with our therapists," Ledyard said. "You can tell that she’s a fighter and that she wants to get better."

The doctors said it was unclear if or when Souza will be moved from the University of Utah to Brazil for further care.

Souza, who was training in aerial skiing, was attempting to become the first Olympic gymnast to compete in the Winter Olympics. She participated in both the 2004 and 2008 summer games before missing the 2012 Olympics with an injury.

It remained unclear exactly where Souza was skiing in Park City at the time of the accident, but the Brazilian Olympic Committee said she was wearing a helmet and that Canadian coach Ryan Snow was with her when it happened.

Souza’s was the third serious injury to an elite winter sport athlete in Utah in the last four years. Canadian freestyle skier Sarah Burke died in 2012 after crashing in the halfpipe at Park City Mountain Resort, where snowboarder Kevin Pearce was seriously injured in 2009 before recovering.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.