Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Jerry Jones: Romo could be cleared to face Eagles
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Irving, Texas • Dallas owner Jerry Jones says the Cowboys aren't ruling Tony Romo out of a winner-take-all game against Philadelphia because doctors could clear him after treating his back injury.

Jones said on his radio show Tuesday that his quarterback has proven he can play with pain but won't if doctors advise against it.

The Cowboys (8-7) and Eagles (9-6) are playing Sunday night in Dallas' third straight season finale against an NFC East rival with the division title and a playoff berth on the line.

Romo was the starter in losses to the New York Giants two years ago and Redskins last season.

He injured his back in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 24-23 win at Washington. Kyle Orton, who hasn't started a game since 2011, is the backup.

Jones said he had lengthy discussions with Romo and his doctors Monday about getting the 33-year-old ready to play. The owner wouldn't discuss the details of Romo's injury.

"If you know Tony, you can't imagine what a competitor he is, and he doesn't want to miss a snap," Jones said. "He was very disappointed, particularly disappointed for his team, repeated over and over again, 'Jerry, I can't tell you how badly I feel relative to you and relative to my teammates.'"

Romo didn't miss a game in 2011 after breaking his ribs in Week 2 against San Francisco. He was heavily padded and medicated the next week against Washington and did enough to get the Cowboys an 18-16 win.

"Tony will play with all the pain," Jones said. "But his doctor has to clear him."

If Romo isn't cleared, Orton will make his first start since the 2011 season finale for Kansas City against Denver, the team that waived him earlier that year after making Tim Tebow the starter.

Orton signed a three-year, $10.5 million contract with the Cowboys that offseason — an investment that Jones says was for just the scenario facing Dallas now.

"The main thing is that it's not like Kyle Orton just gets here this morning or gets here tomorrow morning," Jones said. "Kyle Orton has been here and he knows this system frankly as well as Romo does. And has practiced it. He just doesn't have the game time that he would have had as the starter, and he doesn't get the reps."

Jones said the Cowboys were bringing in "multiple" quarterbacks for tryouts Tuesday, mostly looking for someone to ease the throwing load on Orton if Romo is either out or limited in practice.

Romo and Orton are the only quarterbacks on the roster after Alex Tanney was claimed off the practice squad by Cleveland last month.

"If you don't realize that you're going to be dealing with injury information, sudden change in plans, then you're in the wrong area," Jones said. "We're in as good a shape under these circumstances as you could possibly be in. We have planned on this very event."

———

AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org

———

Follow Schuyler Dixon on Twitter at https://twitter.com/apschuyler

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
Photos
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.