College football • Fresno State's BCS dreams end with 62-52 loss to San Jose State
San Jose, Calif. • David Fales threw for 543 yards and six touchdowns in an entertaining showdown with Derek Carr, and San Jose ended No. 16 Fresno State's run toward a possible BCS bowl with a 62-52 victory Friday.
Fales was every bit as good as the more heralded Carr, matching his six first-half touchdown passes in a near perfect performance that made the Spartans bowl eligible with their first win over a ranked opponent since 2000.
Carr threw for 519 yards and six touchdowns but threw a fourth-quarter interception for the Bulldogs.
The loss ended Fresno State's chances to beat out Northern Illinois for a spot in a BCS game.
The Bulldogs will still play in the Mountain West title game next week against either Utah State or Boise State but had their chances at a big bowl payoff done in by a porous defense.
No. 15 LSU 31, Arkansas 27 • Backup quarterback Anthony Jennings lofted a 49-yard touchdown pass to Travin Dural with 1:15 left as the Tigers pulled out a tense victory at home.
No. 17 UCF 23, South Florida 20 • Breshad Perriman scored on a 52-yard touchdown pass from Blake Bortles late in the fourth quarter to give Central Florida a win at home and keeping the Knights on course for a conference title and BCS bid.
Saturday's TV games
• Ohio State at Michigan, 10 a.m., Ch. 4
• Florida State at Florida, 10 a.m., ESPN
• Duke at North Carolina, 10 a.m., ESPN2
• Temple at Memphis, 10 a.m., ESPNews
• Kansas State at Kansas, 10 a.m., FS1
• Rutgers at UConn, 10 a.m., ESPNU
• Minnesota at Michigan State, 10 a.m., Big Ten
• Maryland at North Carolina State, 10:30 a.m., KMYU
• Southern Grambling State, 12:30 p.m., Ch. 5
• Colorado at Utah, noon, Pac-12
• Wyoming at Utah State, noon, ROOT
• BYU at Nevada, 1 p.m. CBSSN
• Georgia at Georgia Tech, 1:30 p.m., Ch. 4
• Alabama at Auburn, 1:30 p.m., Ch. 2
• Penn State at Wisconsin, 1:30 p.m., ESPN
• Baylor at TCU, 1:30 p.m., ESPN2
• Virginia at Virginia Tech, 1:30 p.m., ESPNU
• Purdue at Indiana, 1:30 p.m., Big Ten
• Iowa State at West Virginia, 2 p.m., FS1
• Clemson at South Carolina, 5 p.m., ESPN2
• Notre Dame at Stanford, 5 p.m., Ch. 13
• Tennessee at Kentucky, 5 p.m., ESPNU
• Texas A&M at Missouri, 5:45 p.m., ESPN
• UCLA at USC, 6 p.m., Ch. 4
• Arizona at Arizona State, 7:30 p.m., Pac-12
• New Mexico at Boise State, 8:15 p.m., ESPN2
• San Diego State at UNLV, 8:30 p.m., ESPNU