Fifty things that are bound to happen — or not — at Saturday night’s Utah-BYU game:
1. Utah’s cornerbacks will get toasted for substantial gains on more than five plays.
2. BYU’s cornerbacks will get toasted for substantial gains on more than 10 plays.
3. Travis Wilson will pass for over 300 yards.
4. Taysom Hill will pass for more than 200 yards.
5. BYU will throw the ball more against the Utes because … it has to at least try.
6. Hill will chuck screwballs over the head of or into the turf in front of or off to the side of at least three open receivers.
7. Hill will still complete better than 33 percent of his passes.
8. Hill will successfully squib throws to open targets because Kalani Sitake will risk leaving those targets open, committing extra assets to contain Hill’s running.
9. Despite all that, Utah’s defense, which hasn’t allowed a single rusher to pick up 100 yards in any of its first three games, will allow two against the Cougars.
10. Hill will run for triple digits — but just barely.
11. Jamaal Williams will outrush Hill.
12. Wilson will be Utah’s leading runner.
13. Every time Kyle Whittingham is asked, either before or after the game, about Williams and Kyle Van Noy, he rather condescendingly will say they are fine players, but will go on emphasizing that the Utes face those kinds of athletes every week in the Pac-12.
14. Van Noy will unleash three seasons worth of frustration on Utah, hauling down the thunder and proving to Whittingham that the coach does not face KVN’s kind of athlete every week in the Pac-12.
15. Utah will miss Reggie Dunn.
16. Bronco Mendenhall will talk in incomplete sentences during the postgame, often leaving out the subject, saying things like: "Played with effort and intensity. Tried real hard. Proud of our players. Hate all you media dopes. Don’t know what to say. Crap."
17. Utah fans will hurl a thousand profanities at BYU players and pour imaginary beer on the heads of at least one Cougar player’s parents.
18. BYU fans will quote Max Hall 20,000 times.
19. Neither offense will hit 50 percent on third-down conversions.
20. BYU will score nearly every time it gets into the red zone.Next Page >
Copyright 2013 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.