Quantcast

Broncos release top rusher Willis McGahee

Published June 13, 2013 9:34 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Englewood, Colo. • The Denver Broncos have released Willis McGahee, their leading rusher last year.

The 31-year-old running back is the NFL's active leader with 33 100-yard games. McGahee is coming off a right knee injury that sidelined him for the final two months last season. The 11-year veteran was set to make $2.5 million in 2013.

McGahee skipped all of the team's 10 voluntary workouts but returned to Dove Valley for their three-day mandatory minicamp that ends Thursday.

With second-year pro Ronnie Hillman and rookie Montee Ball getting most of the work out of the backfield this week, McGahee was relegated to a handful of snaps.

McGahee said Tuesday he was confident he'd keep his starting job and didn't regret skipping the workouts. He says he "probably would have been behind the 8-ball either way."

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus