Quantcast

Romo to miss at least 3 weeks after cyst removal on back

Published May 21, 2013 9:42 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Irving, Texas • Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will miss at least three weeks of offseason workouts after a procedure to remove a cyst from his back.

The team's website reported Tuesday, the first day of organized team workouts, that Romo underwent the procedure last month and could return for the mandatory minicamp that starts June 11. He will be ready for training camp in July.

Romo became the highest-paid player in franchise history in March when he signed a six-year, $108 million extension with $55 million guaranteed, more than Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco of Baltimore.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the outpatient procedure was performed before the NFL draft. Romo was restricted to light conditioning work in April but has been cleared to throw.

"If this was the regular season and I had to play next week, I could," Romo told the newspaper Monday. "That's why I did it now. This will have no effect on training camp."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said Romo will have an expanded role in the offense, and his quarterback has committed to "Peyton Manning-type time" in trying to turn Dallas into a Super Bowl contender again.