Quantcast

Tennis: Tomic's hitting partner calls for father ban

Published May 7, 2013 9:24 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Paris • Bernard Tomic's hitting partner is calling for the Australian tennis player's father to be banned from the sport following an alleged assault.

John Tomic was charged with assault after allegedly head-butting the hitting partner, Thomas Drouet, on Saturday before this week's Madrid Open.

In an interview with French sports daily L'Equipe on Tuesday, Drouet says he wants "to help Bernard forbid his father from having access to tournaments" and for him "to be banned from the ATP and the WTA."

Drouet says he saw the elder Tomic hit his son last week, adding "What next? He is a dangerous person, who has nothing to do in this sport of gentlemen."

A Madrid court said Monday that John Tomic disputed the charges and will face trial May 14.

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus