Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Cubs prospect banned 5 games for wielding bat
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Chicago • Cubs prospect Jorge Soler has been suspended five games for charging the visiting team's dugout during a Florida State League game with a bat.

Soler was suspended Thursday.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein says the organization supports Soler but condemns his actions Wednesday night. Epstein says the Cubs will work to help Soler "better channel his emotions on the field."

Playing for Class-A Daytona, Soler grabbed a bat from his dugout and approached the dugout of the Clearwater Threshers during the seventh inning. Epstein said he was told there was some back and forth with another player, which included comments about Soler's family. Soler was restrained before he reached the dugout.

The 21-year-old Cuban signed a nine-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs last year and is in his first full professional season in the United States.

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.