Quantcast

NFL retiree publicity rights settlement approved

Published April 8, 2013 1:07 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Minneapolis • The $50 million settlement between the NFL and a group of retired players seeking publicity rights has been given preliminary approval by a federal judge.

U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson also warned retirees Monday not to be too fussy about the money now that it's been awarded.

The settlement of the class-action lawsuit was mediated last month. But some of the plaintiffs opposed the agreement, arguing it didn't benefit them enough. Magnuson said in his order that the complexity and expense of further litigation "weigh heavily in favor" of final approval of the settlement — and he said the complaint sounded like "children denied dessert."

The lawsuit was filed in 2009, accusing the NFL of exploitation of the identities of retired players in highlight films and memorabilia.

USER COMMENTS
Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus