Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
After release from Eagles, Babin claimed by Jaguars
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

With a league-low 13 sacks, the Jacksonville Jaguars were looking for more production from their pass rush.

Jason Babin could be the solution.

The Jaguars claimed the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end off waivers from Philadelphia on Wednesday. To make room on the roster, Jacksonville placed defensive tackle D'Anthony Smith (concussion/neck) on injured reserve.

The Jaguars (2-9) will pay the remaining $1.69 million of Babin's 2012 salary, essentially taking a low-risk look at someone who could significantly upgrade one of the league's worst pass rushes.

"It's a good pickup," coach Mike Mularkey said. "He's had a lot of success over the last three years and we could use some help in that area. He'll fit what we're doing. [Defensive line coach] Joe Cullen and he have a relentless type of mindset. I just think it's going to be good for us, really good for us."

Jacksonville's pass rush, or lack thereof, is the most glaring weakness on a team filled with holes.

The Jaguars gave Jeremy Mincey a four-year contract worth $20 million in March, but he has just two sacks. They also drafted former Clemson standout Andre Branch in the second round, but he has played sparingly the last two months.

Babin, meanwhile, has 51/2 sacks after recording 18 last year. He signed a five-year, $28 million deal last summer after going to his first Pro Bowl with Tennessee following the 2010 season.

He will play Sunday at Buffalo, Mularkey said.

"We've got five games and we're trying to win these games," Mularkey said. "It's a sign that we're trying to show our team that we're trying to win right now, that this is not 'play the young guys and do the evaluating.' We're trying to win and we're doing whatever we can to improve our roster. This is a great move."

League fines Suh $30K for kick

Ndamukong Suh's reputation for being a nasty player was born as an NFL rookie.

Suh slammed two quarterbacks to the ground by grabbing their helmets two years ago, and his image became even more notorious last season when he infamously stomped on an opponent.

Just when the Detroit Lions defensive tackle started to improve his ability to play the game cleanly this season, he had a setback.

But if you think he's contrite, guess again.

The NFL fined Suh $30,000 on Wednesday for unnecessary roughness because he kicked Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin area. The previous day, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league didn't suspend him because it couldn't reach a judgment on his intent.

Schaub shouldn't hold his breath waiting to hear Suh say he's sorry.

"I was dragged to the ground," Suh said. "A lot of things happen to me.

"It's part of the game."

Suh was on his chest after being taken down by an offensive lineman when his left cleat hit Schaub below the belt in Detroit's loss to Houston last Thursday.

"I just thought it was very Suh-like to give a little extension there at the end," Texans linebacker Connor Barwin said.

For the first time, Suh tried to explain what happened.

"It's a crazy play, it's one that unfortunately happened," he said. "I didn't even realize it until the end of the game, when I see my Twitter feed, I see my friends telling me about it. Other than that, I can't do much more about it. I was being dragged to the ground and my foot inadvertently hit the man.

"But it's over with and I am moving forward and getting ready to play the Colts."

Denver to pursue Super Bowl bid

Denver has submitted an application to bid for the Super Bowl.

The Denver Post reports the Broncos and Visit Denver submitted an application in late August to the NFLs Super Bowl Advisory Committee to bid to host the Super Bowl in 2018, 2019 or 2020. Visit Denver CEO and President Richard Scharf calls it a very preliminary step.

The NFL is expected to select next year which cities are eligible to submit an official bid.

Mayor Michael Hancock spoke about Denver's application Wednesday in a meeting with The Denver Post editorial board. —

NFL Week 13 schedule

Thursday

• New Orleans at Atlanta, 6:20 p.m., NFL Network

Sunday

• Seattle at Chicago, 11 a.m.

• Minnesota at Green Bay,11 a.m.

• San Francisco at St. Louis,11 a.m.

• Carolina at Kansas City,11 a.m.

• Houston at Tennessee,11 a.m.

• Arizona at N.Y. Jets, 11 a.m.

• Indianapolis at Detroit,11 a.m.

• Jacksonville at Buffalo,11 a.m.

• New England at Miami,11 a.m., Ch. 2

• Tampa Bay at Denver, 2:05 p.m., Ch. 13

• Cleveland at Oakland, 2:25 p.m.

• Cincinnati at San Diego, 2:25 p.m.

• Pittsburgh at Baltimore, 2:25 p.m., Ch. 2

• Philadelphia at Dallas,6:20 p.m., Ch. 5

Monday

• N.Y. Giants at Washington, 6:30 p.m., ESPN

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.