College basketball: No. 3 Kentucky holds of Maryland
New York • Junior guard Jarrod Polson scored 10 points and made the clinching free throws with 7.7 seconds to play as the third-ranked Kentucky Wildcats held off a furious second-half rally by Maryland for a 72-69 victory Friday night.
Kyle Wiltjer, a sophomore, led Kentucky with 19 points in the second game of the Barclays Center Classic, the first college basketball games played in the new arena in Brooklyn. Archie Goodwin, the only one of the four freshmen in Kentucky's heralded recruiting class to score in double figures, had 16 points for the defending national champions.
Seven-foot-1 sophomore Alex Len led Maryland with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
The game between No. 4 Ohio State and Marquette aboard the USS Yorktown at the Carrier Classic on Friday night in Mount Pleasant, S.C., was canceled because of moisture on the court.
The game between No. 10 Florida and Georgetown on the USS Bataan in Jacksonville, Fla., was called off at halftime because the court became too wet. Florida led 27-23 at the break. The game will not count and will not be made up.
UCLA freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad has been declared ineligible by the NCAA after lengthy probe uncovered a violation of NCAA amateurism rules. It's unknown how many games Muhammad will miss. The school announced the NCAA's ruling about 80 minutes before the Bruins' season opener against Indiana State on Friday night.
Friday's Top 25 basketball scores
• No. 1 Indiana 97, Bryant 54
• No. 3 Kentucky 72, Maryland 69
• No. 4 Ohio State vs. Marquette, ppd.
• No. 5 Michigan 100, Slippery Rock 62
• No. 6 N.C. State 97, Miami (Ohio) 59
• No. 7 Kansas 74, Southeast Missouri 54
• No. 8 Duke 74, Georgia State 55
• No. 10 Florida vs. Georgetown, susp.
• No. 11 North Carolina 76, Gardner-Webb 59
• No. 13 UCLA 85,Indiana State 59
• UConn 66, No. 14 Michigan State 62
• No. 16 Creighton 71, North Texas 51
• No. 19. Baylor 99, Lehigh 77
• No. 21 Gonzaga 103, Southern Utah 65
• South Alabama 76,No. 25 Florida State 71