Houston • Johnathan Franklin rushed for 214 yards and three touchdowns as UCLA racked up 348 yards on the ground en route to a 49-24 win over Rice on Thursday night.
Brett Hundley, a redshirt freshman, was 21 of 28 for 202 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 68 yards and a touchdown.
Franklin just missed his career high of 216 yards rushing set in 2010 against Washington State. He became the first player in UCLA history to have two rushes of at least 72 yards in a game after scoring on touchdown runs of 74 and 78 yards in the first half.
Rice's Taylor McHargue threw for 172 yards and two touchdowns on 17 of 28 passing and rushed for 95 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries.
Arizona State 63, Northern Arizona 6 • In Tempe, Marion Grice ran for three touchdowns, Taylor Kelly was efficient in his desert debut and Arizona State opened the Todd Graham era with a rout.
The Sun Devils overwhelmed Northern Arizona from the opening kickoff, forcing three turnovers and running for five touchdowns while building a 42-0 halftime lead.
• Utah 41, Northern Colorado 0
• UCLA 49, Rice 24
• BYU 30,Washington State 6
• Arizona State 63, Northern Arizona 6
• San Jose State at Stanford, 8 p.m.
• Nevada at Cal, 1 p.m.
• Nicholls State at Oregon State, 1 p.m.
• Colorado State vs. Colorado, 2 p.m.
• Hawaii at USC, 5:30 p.m.
• Toledo at Arizona, 8:30 p.m.
• San Diego State at Washington, 8:30 p.m.
• Arkansas State at Oregon, 8:30 p.m.