Orlando, Fla. • Central Florida will have to sit out the postseason for a year in men's basketball and football under sanctions the NCAA handed down Tuesday, adding to penalties the school self-imposed after major recruiting violations were uncovered last year in both programs.
UCF also was cited for "a lack of institutional control" and fined $50,000. The penalties added two years to UCF's previously proposed three years' probation. And they leave in place other sanctions: vacating basketball victories; a reduction in basketball scholarships; and, tighter limits on football recruiting visiting days.
In a news conference, UCF president John Hitt said while he "generally accepts" the penalties levied, the school will appeal the postseason ban in football.
"We just don't feel the violations outlined in the NCAA bylaws justify the sanctions," Hitt said.
UCF has 15 days to file its notice of appeal, and Hitt said his understanding is the appeals process should carry beyond the 2012 football season. Should the NCAA deny the appeal, UCF would serve the bowl ban in 2013.
The punishments stem from a 2011 investigation that found the programs were involved with runners for sports agents and made cash payments to recruits.