A person familiar with the contract says Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts agreed to a four-year, $22.1 million deal.
The Colts announced that they had signed the No. 1 overall pick Thursday. The person gave the terms to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team had not released them.
The deal is similar to the one signed by Cam Newton a year ago and the one signed this week by Robert Griffin III. Newton, last year's top pick, has a four-year, $22 million deal with Carolina. And Griffin, who went No. 2 behind Luck, signed a four-year contract with the Washington Redskins worth $21.1 million, with a club option for a fifth year.
Luck threw for 35 touchdowns last season breaking his school record of 32 in 2010 and eclipsed John Elway's career record (77) at Stanford with 80 touchdown passes in only three seasons. He finished with 3,170 yards passing, a 70 percent completion percentage and only nine interceptions without the benefit of an elite wide receiver in 2011.
Around the league
Rams • St. Louis defensive end Robert Quinn has been charged with drunken driving in suburban St. Louis, police and court officials said Thursday.
Florissant police Capt. Tim Lowery said Quinn was involved in a one-car accident on an exit ramp along Interstate 270 at 5:38 a.m. on July 10. Lowery said the responding officer suspected Quinn was intoxicated and arrested him without incident.
In addition to the drunken-driving charge, Quinn is charged with failure to exercise a high degree of care, and with having no insurance. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Oct. 11.
Quinn was the Rams' first-round draft pick in 2011. He was third on the team with five sacks in 2011. He had 23 tackles in 15 games after not dressing for the season opener against Philadelphia.
Patriots • New England signed first-round draft choice Dont'a Hightower on Thursday to a four-year contract.
Hightower, 22, was selected by New England with the 25th overall pick in April. The linebacker from Alabama was a finalist for the Chuck Bednarik, Butkus and Lombardi Awards, and was a consensus All-American in 2011.
Bears • The NFL says Chicago defensive tackle Nate Collins has been suspended without pay for the upcoming season opener for violating its substance abuse program.
The punishment was announced Thursday. The league did not say what the violation was.
Collins was also fined an additional game check but will be able to return to the active roster on Sept. 10, a day after the opener against the Indianapolis Colts.
Steelers • Pittsburgh has released veteran offensive tackle Jonathan Scott.
The 29-year-old Scott started 14 games and three playoff games during his two seasons with the Steelers. Scott became expendable when Pittsburgh selected Ohio State tackle Mike Adams in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft and re-signed veteran Max Starks earlier this week.
Chargers • San Diego has released defensive end Luis Castillo.
The seven-year veteran was a standout for the Chargers for much of his career, starting 79 of the 82 games he played, with 276 tackles, including 43 for a loss and 19 sacks.
But he broke his left leg in the 2011 season opener and didn't play again.
A first-round draft pick in 2005, Castillo signed a one-year, $1 million contract with the Chargers in April.