Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Top 25: No. 16 Georgetown 81, American U. 55
First Published Dec 17 2011 01:45 pm • Last Updated Dec 17 2011 04:55 pm

Washington • Lest there be any shred of a doubt whether coach John Thompson III is more concerned with offense or defense, a quick exchange during Georgetown’s postgame news conference made it quite clear.

A reporter asked senior center Henry Sims about having scored or assisted on 14 of Georgetown’s first 16 points at the start of the second half Saturday, leading the 16th-ranked Hoyas to an 81-55 victory over American.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"Can I say something before he answers this? And this is important," Thompson said, stepping between Sims and the podium.

"He was best today — and I told him this in the locker room — at his communication on defense. The whole time, you heard Henry talking. And our defense got better in the second half because our talking got better. And he was, I thought, outstanding," the coach explained. "I heard Henry’s voice calling screens, calling ‘switch,’ ‘watch this.’ And I think that’s what he did better than anything. Better than the points. Better than the passes."

Well, that might very well be. And the 6-foot-10 Sims certainly was a key part of Georgetown’s holding AU to 41 percent shooting for the game.

Still, it’s hard to overlook what Sims did at the other end of the court, taking over early in the second half and finishing with 17 points and six assists. Sims assisted on back-door baskets on four consecutive possessions in the opening minutes after halftime as Georgetown (9-1) broke open a tight game en route to its seventh victory in a row.

Markel Starks led the Hoyas with 18 points, and Hollis Thompson added 15 points and eight rebounds — and one very key suggestion, according to his coach, who said the junior forward noted at halftime that the Hoyas should be making their backdoor cuts later in possessions.

"Teammates were cutting hard," Sims said, "so my job was to give them the ball."

Charles Hinkle scored 16 for American (8-4), which has followed an eight-game winning streak with two straight losses. Hinkle entered averaging 22.2 points.

"They were just paying a lot of attention to him," AU coach Jeff Jones said. "They played Charles hard, and they weren’t going to let him beat them."

story continues below
story continues below

Georgetown still has one more non-conference game before Big East play starts, hosting Memphis on Thursday, the second time this season those teams will face each other. The Hoyas won in overtime at the Maui Invitational last month.

This was the 52nd meeting between D.C. schools GU and AU, with the Hoyas holding a 44-8 edge, including the last eight.

AU had trouble with Georgetown’s typically stingy defense, and John Thompson kept ordering up different looks: man-to-man, zone, trap.

"Clearly, that was two very different halves. Georgetown came out in the second half and came right at us and obviously, we didn’t respond very well," Jones said. "We didn’t have an answer."

Missing its second-leading scorer, injured senior guard Troy Brewer, American began the game 5 for 16 on field-goal attempts, including 2 for 9 on 3-pointers. Brewer was replaced by junior Blake Jolivette, making his first start of the season.

Still, American kept the game close for most of the first half, pulling within 24-22 on Jolivette’s fallaway baseline jumper with about 2½ minutes left in the period. Georgetown moved out to leads of as many as eight points but Simon McCormack’s follow tip-in for AU right before the buzzer cut it to 32-26 at halftime.

But the Sims Show was yet to get started.

He had four points and zero assists as the second half began. But he passed to teammates on backdoor cuts over and over and over. First, he found Nate Lubick, then Starks, then Hollis Thompson, then Lubick again.

Sims kept coming, producing Georgetown’s next score with a hook from just outside the paint. A couple of possessions later, he threw down an alley-oop slam off a pass from Starks, then completed a fast break with a layup while getting fouled.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.