Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Kent Woolstenhulme welcomes his nephew, Porter Hancock, home to house built in less than eight weeks by volunteers for the Hancock family after Porter was paralyzed while playing in a South Summit High School football game on Oct. 7, 2011. He was released from the hospital, Friday, Dec. 16, 2011 in Oakley, Utah. Courtesy Hancock Family
Prep football: South Summit’s Porter Hancock leaves hospital, finds new home waiting
Prep football » Kamas, Oakley and other communities raised funds for handicap-accessible home.
First Published Dec 16 2011 05:55 pm • Last Updated Dec 16 2011 09:46 pm

It was homecoming on Friday afternoon for Porter Hancock.

The junior linebacker from South Summit had been in the hospital for the past 10 weeks after he was paralyzed from the chest down in a football game in October. But for the first time, Hancock was able to breathe air outside the confines of his room at University Hospital.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"It was amazing, it definitely was," said Jill Hancock, his mother. "He just looked kind of in awe, trying to take it all in."

But that was far from the only thing the Hancocks took in that afternoon. They arrived in Oakley to a new home paid for and custom-built by family members, the South Summit community and supporters from all over the state.

"When I came through the door, I was speechless. I didn’t know what to think. I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital, being stuck in the same room for two months. I couldn’t sleep at all last night. I just want to say thank you to everybody, most of you I don’t even know. …" Porter said in a news release.

The one-story home was constructed within seven weeks. It has a rehabilitation room, a "hang-out" space for visitors, a handicap-accessible shower and decorated rooms for Porter, his mother and his sisters. Jill Hancock called it "overwhelming."

"It’s amazing how they came together," she said. "Everybody pitched in."

Porter Hancock is still working on his rehabilitation process. Jill Hancock said he still has not seen significant progress in his lower extremities, but he has better function in his arms and is still working to use his fingers.


story continues below
story continues below

Twitter: @kylegoon

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.