Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah may ask Supreme Court to halt benefits to married gay couples

State says it’ll involve U.S. Supreme Court if stay is denied on decision to grant benefits to couples.

< Previous Page

Utah has rejected this accusation.

"Defendants had no predetermined plan, but instead, diligently researched and carefully analyzed the legal and practical viability of all available options, including implementation or appeal," Utah wrote in its brief Monday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals could rule at any time regarding the stay. Until then, its temporary halt on same-sex marriage benefits will remain in effect.

Also pending in the appeals court is the original challenge to the state’s same-sex marriage bans. The appeals court, which seemed split on the issue after hearing arguments in that case in April, put the case on an expedited calendar, but has not said when it might rule.


Twitter: @Marissa_Jae

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.