Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Scott Sommerdorf | The Salt Lake Tribune) Sal Petilos, executive director of the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, came to the Salt Lake Tribune newsroom to appear on Trib Talk, Wednesday, May 28, 2014.
Abuse led DABC to clamp down on single-event permits

Special licenses intended for charity, nonprofit events.

First Published May 28 2014 04:53 pm • Last Updated Jun 24 2014 11:02 am

Utah’s top alcohol regulator says abuse of single-event permits led the department to clamp down on the one-time licenses, a move that now may threaten alcohol service at Snowbird’s Oktoberfest and similar gatherings.

Sal Petilos, executive director of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, said repeated requests by the Maverik Center for single-event alcohol permits at the West Valley City arena and requests by the Egyptian Theatre in Park City for similar licenses prompted his office to take a close look at the standards used for issuing them.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The result, he said, has been a shift away from granting single-event permits to for-profit gatherings, instead narrowing the events that might qualify to conventions and community and civic enterprises — which he added is what the statute intended.

"It’s just a concern as to whether the department is using the rules on the books and analyzing these things," Petilos said during an online Trib Talk with The Salt Lake Tribune on Wednesday."We may very well be in a Catch-22 if we say we have these rules on the books but we haven’t been following them."

Snowbird had one request for a permit pending — the 6th Annual Fathers Day Brewfest, scheduled for June 14 and 15. After a long debate during their meeting this week, liquor commissioners approved the single-event permit for Brewfest, but cautioned they might not do the same for Oktoberfest.

DABC compliance director Nina McDermott said that, under the rules, the single-event permits are meant primarily for nonprofit, charitable events.

The administrative rules say the permits are for "gatherings of the common good," so regulators have to look at whether there is some communal benefit to the event, or if the request comes from a for-profit entity trying to avoid the normal licensing process.

McDermott said that, even if Snowbird’s application is turned down, the resort has a permit to serve low-strength beer — 3.2 percent alcohol by weight — anywhere on the premises.

In the past, however, Snowbird has also served wine at Oktoberfest and some beer with a higher alcohol content, which would not be allowed under the resort’s existing license.

One idea that Petilos said has been floated is allowing the permittee to donate a portion of the proceeds from ticket sales to a charity.

story continues below
story continues below

"We would be concerned with subterfuge versus actual intent to benefit the community or charitable organization," he said. "Those are questions I wouldn’t know how to answer unless I had an actual application in front of me."


Twitter: @RobertGehrke

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.