Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(File photo)
Sugar House fireworks about to fizzle
Funding » Fourth of July show organizer says sponsorships are at issue.
First Published Apr 09 2014 12:34 pm • Last Updated Apr 09 2014 09:04 pm

The annual 4th of July Sugar House fireworks show is sputtering.

If it doesn’t get an infusion of cash by Friday, the show won’t go on, according to organizer Scott Workman.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

In an unofficial vote Tuesday, the Salt Lake City Council determined not to fund the show beyond the $15,000 it has already pledged.

"That’s quite disappointing," Workman said Wednesday of the council’s decision not to up its ante.

Presently, Workman said he has commitments of about $40,000 to put on the July 4th celebration. But a "bare bones" fireworks display will cost about $65,000, he said.

The Sugar House 4th of July fireworks were traditionally put on by the Sugar House Park Authority, which runs the park. But in 2009, the authority withdrew its sponsorship of the show.

That’s when Workman took on the responsibility for the annual program that attracts about 35,000 people.

But without more money by Friday, Workman said he will have to tell sponsors and vendors to seek opportunities elsewhere.

"I’m still hopeful. I have talked to some potential sponsors," he said. "I don’t want to say it’s cancelled. I’ll make that decision Friday."

City Councilwoman Lisa Adams, who represents Sugar House, said Salt Lake City is doing its part with a $15,000 donation. She complemented Workman’s efforts and said she "would not like the community to lose [the fireworks]."


story continues below
story continues below

But she added that "some long-range planning needs to take place. I think the ball has been dropped a little bit."

Councilman Stan Penfold noted that for the past several years last-minute pleas for funding have been answered. But such crisis-averting rescues are growing old, he said. "I’m having a reduced appetite for this."

Workman said he began fundraising last year not long after the July 4th show. But two major sponsors pulled out and a third cut its donation in half.

"I’ve learned I have to start [fundraising] as early as the day after the show. I had sponsors in place for this year as early as August last year," he said. "This year was a situation that was out of my hands."

Donations to the fireworks show can be made at www.sugarhousefireworks.com.

csmart@sltrib.com



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.