Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah Senate leader suffers apparent heart attack
First Published Mar 12 2014 02:13 pm • Last Updated Mar 12 2014 11:16 pm

Utah Senate Majority Leader Ralph Okerlund, R-Monroe, collapsed at the Capitol Wednesday and was initially treated there by members who are doctors, nurses and EMTs before being transported to a hospital.

The senator’s family indicated that while he was alert and joking, it was unlikely he would return to the Legislature before its mandatory adjournment for the year at midnight Thursday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

House Speaker Becky Lockhart said Okerlund was in a meeting with House and Senate Republican leaders discussing final touches on this year’s budget when he collapsed.

Senators said leaders called for members who could help him. Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, who is an EMT and works with search and rescue patrols, performed CPR.

Senators said other legislators who are doctors soon arrived, including Rep. Ed Redd, R-Logan, and Sen. Brian Shiozawa, R-Cottonwood Heights, who is an emergency room doctor. Lockhart, a nurse, also assisted.

"Clearly we were alarmed and concerned about Senator Okerlund," Lockhart said.

Senators said Okerlund regained consciousness at one point and asked to be injected with medicine he keeps with him. The 61-year-old lawmaker previously suffered a heart attack about two years ago and had surgery afterward.

Ric Cantrell, chief of staff for the Senate, said the Senate expected to release little information officially so as to protect Okerlund’s privacy, but confirmed that he collapsed and had been transported to a hospital.

Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, fought back tears as he announced the incident.

"We want to thank the Highway Patrol and the medical personnel in this body who assisted Senator Okerlund and we ask you to keep him and his family in your prayers," Niederhauser said.

story continues below
story continues below

"Ralph is alert, stable and doing well. He is in good spirits and already joking about coming back and finishing his bills," the family said late Wednesday afternoon in a statement. "He said, ‘I’d go back right now if they’d let me.’

"That probably won’t happen. Hospital personnel need to finish some tests and we don’t expect he will return to the Capitol [Thursday]. We are deeply, deeply grateful for the concern and prayers offered on Ralph’s behalf. We are also very thankful for the capable reaction and care of his colleagues in the Legislature and emergency response personnel."

Topher Webb contributed to this report.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.