Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Clean-air bill goes to governor
State cars » 50% of new purchases must be high-efficieny, or alternative-fuel cars.
First Published Mar 03 2014 11:24 am • Last Updated Mar 03 2014 08:53 pm

The Senate gave final passage Monday to a bill requiring at least 50 percent of passenger cars purchased by the state government be high-efficiency or alternative-fuel vehicles.

It voted 25-2 to pass SB99 after amendments by a conference committee and sent it to Gov. Gary Herbert for his signature.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Among the alternate-fuel vehicles allowed would be hybrids and those powered by electricity, natural gas, hydrogen and biodiesel.

"The state should set an example" to help reduce air pollution, said the bill’s sponsor, Sen. Scott Jenkins, R-Plain City. "It just allows us to become better stewards, better citizens."

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.