Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah Senate advances bill requiring school carbon monoxide detectors
First Published Feb 19 2014 10:56 am • Last Updated Feb 19 2014 08:58 pm

Schools may soon need to install carbon monoxide detectors, coming after a November mishap at remote Montezuma Creek Elementary sent at least 50 people to the hospital.

The Senate voted 21-3 to pass SB58 on Wednesday to make the change, and sent it to the House.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, the bill’s sponsor, said the Montezuma Creek incident shows the state needs a safeguard to ensure "carbon monoxide is not in public schools." He said the bill would cost an estimated $800 per school in the state.

— Lee Davidson

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.