Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts

Bill to ban driving while 'impaired to the slightest degree' dropped
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Rep. Lee Perry, a Utah Highway Patrol lieutenant, has temporarily abandoned an attempt to close what he says is a loophole in the state's drunken driving laws that allows some to escape charges.

He asked the House Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Committee on Tuesday to refer his HB303 for interim study during the year, which it voted to do, instead of trying to pass it now.

Perry, R-Perry, had said the bill would tighten current wording in law that bans driving "under the influence" of alcohol or drugs and "to a degree that renders a person incapable of operating a vehicle."

He said the current wording allows some attorneys to argue that if a person was pulled over for something besides erratic driving — such as a broken taillight — police don't really know for sure if the driver was intoxicated to a degree that made them "incapable of safely operating a vehicle."

He had proposed changing the wording to ban driving while "impaired to the slightest degree" by alcohol, drugs or any substance.

Lee made the move to study the proposal amid opposition and concerns by defense attorneys. It allows more time to seek compromise wording.

HB303 • Referred for study during the year.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.