Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah bill would allow white-collar felons to keep guns
First Published Feb 07 2014 12:01 pm • Last Updated Feb 07 2014 09:28 pm

Utahns convicted of certain white-collar felonies would be able to have their gun rights restored under a bill passed unanimously Friday by the Utah House.

"I know some people who haven’t been able to go hunting with their families for 15 to 20 years because of" a felony conviction, said Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, the sponsor of HB75. "This will help them regain some normalcy."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The bill would allow people convicted of "antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraint of trade, or other similar offenses," not including theft or fraud, to retain their ability to own firearms.

The same would apply to a conviction that has been expunged or reduced to a misdemeanor.

Oda said neighboring states already have similar laws. He said in the future he would be open to expanding the crimes covered by the bill.

The measure now goes to the Senate.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.