Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Bill limits shelters’ gassing of pets
First Published Feb 05 2014 08:12 pm • Last Updated Feb 05 2014 09:08 pm

The Utah House passed legislation Wednesday limiting when animal shelters may use carbon-monoxide gas to euthanize animals.

The bill, HB10, sponsored by Rep. Angela Romero, D-Salt Lake City, only allows shelters to use gas if other means would be unsafe to personnel or cause "unacceptable levels of stress" to the animal.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The shelter cannot euthanize more than one animal at a time in a carbon-monoxide chamber unless each animal has a specific compartment and the measure also requires the shelters to adopt policy and training standards for employees.

The measure passed the House 61-8 and goes to the Senate for consideration.

— By Robert Gehrke

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.