Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Bill proposes allowing youth hunting without hunter's ed class
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Youths would be able to get a hunting license without first taking a hunter's education course under legislation now on Utah's Capitol Hill. The no-class licenses would be granted only on a trial basis.

"As long as an adult goes with them, it would allow them to go hunting to see if they like, before they go through all the time and effort needed for a hunter's education class," said Senate Majority Leader Ralph Okerlund, R-Monroe, sponsor of newly filed SB165 that would allow the change.

It would allow someone as young as 11 to obtain the "trial" permit, but they must be at least 12 before actually using a firearm or archery equipment. They must be accompanied by a licensed hunter who is at least 21.

Okerlund said he is offering the bill at the request of the Division of Wildlife Resources. The measure would allow DWR to set the rules and cost for the permit.

"A number of other states are also doing it, and the bill is modeled after their programs," Okerlund said. He adds that it would help more youth to at least try hunting and the outdoors "and do something instead of video games."

A traditional Utah hunter's education course costs $10 and requires a minimum of 12 hours, usually meeting one or two nights a week. Online courses are also available, but still require an in-person field day with a minimum of five hours.

Trial permit • Senator seeks to copy program allowed in other states.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.