Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Municipalities fill vacant city council seats
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A few months after the general election, another round of voting has filled vacant city council seats in Draper, Roy and Woods Cross.

The openings were created by the election of council members who were midway through their four-year terms to the mayor's position in those municipalities. City council members cast their votes Tuesday on who would serve with them for the next two years.

In Woods Cross, James Sheldon will replace Mayor Rick Earnshaw on the council. Sheldon was one of 10 applicants for the position.

Draper City Council members selected Marsha Vawdrey to serve the remainder of new Mayor Troy Walker's term. Vawdrey, a member of the Draper Planning Commission and a longtime community volunteer, was picked from among 18 residents vying for the job.

After spending hours interviewing 23 residents, the Roy City Council deadlocked 2-2 on its selection and, in the end, drew a name from a cup to determine the winner. Planning Commissioner Karlene Yeoman, who grew up in Roy and has been active for years in the community, will take Mayor Willard Cragun's place on the council.

Draper and Roy now will have to appoint replacements for Vawdrey and Yeoman on their planning commissions.


Twitter: PamelaMansonSLC

Appointees • Draper, Roy, Woods Cross pick replacements to serve for the next two years.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.