Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Rolly: You don’t have to park to get a parking ticket in Salt Lake City

< Previous Page

But Shelby’s ruling was in place the last day of 2013, so marriages before midnight are recognized.

If the issue isn’t resolved on appeal during 2014, however, and the stay remains in place, those allowed to file jointly for 2013 can’t do it in 2014, because the state ban would still govern, Carpenter said.

At a glance

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Therefore, the state effectively, to preserve marriage, would be imposing divorces on those couples, at least for tax purposes.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.