< Previous Page
Politicos » Perhaps the best-known name on the delinquency list is first lady Jeanette Herbert, wife of Gov. Gary Herbert, although it is for a mere $40 — one of the tiniest amounts on the list — for some business property she owns in Orem.
Top 2013 Wasatch Front property tax delinquents
1. Harmons grocery stores » $360,196.
2. Snowbird’s Cliff Club » $304,020.
3. Memorial Estates (mortuaries, cemeteries) » $278,824.
4. Redevelopment Agency of West Valley City for Embassy Suites Hotel » $263,041.
5. XO Communications » $261,519.
6. TEM Properties (for Supra Naturals building) » $243,878.
7. Cottonwood Estates Development » $243,360.
8. Ventura Utah (South Jordan office building) » $207,795.
9. Zions First National Bank » $179,497.
10. Centerpointe Properties (Salt Lake City office buildings) » $172,256.
Source: Tribune analysis of county delinquent property tax lists.
"She sent in the payment and for some reason it was $40 short of the amount they needed," said Marty Carpenter, director of communications for the governor. He said Utah County notified her about the shortage, "so she called them to try to pay it and they couldn’t find record that she was $40 short, so they said, ‘Well, it must be a mistake so don’t worry about it.’"
Then she ended up on the delinquency list. "She’s going to pay it right now," Carpenter said Monday.
The only other politician found on the list was incoming Orem Mayor Richard Brunst, who owed a relatively small $238.37 on some residential property in Orem.
"We thought we paid it on time, but there was a mistake made in how it was paid," he said, adding it has since been handled. "We always pay our taxes on time."
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.