Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah judge backs state engineer: Nuke plant can have water

7th District judge agrees with the state engineer’s decision to allow a Blue Castle Holdings project to tap Green River.

< Previous Page

The judge acknowledged differences of opinion between biologists on the effects on the river and fish, but said that will be studied under the NEPA process.

"This is a court saying there’s a very, very low burden for Blue Castle to meet," Swensen said. "We feel there was inordinate deference given to [Blue Castle]."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Besides Blue Castle, defendants included Jones and the San Juan and Kane county water conservation districts. The later two had held the water rights at issue since they were originally awarded in the 1960s for coal-fired plants that were never built.

Besides HEAL Utah, plaintiffs included Living Rivers, Uranium Watch, Utah Rivers Council and local water users.


Twitter: @KristenMoulton

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.