Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Study to look at streetcar or BRT in Ogden
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A study that could lead to a new streetcar line — or perhaps a "bus rapid transit" (BRT) route — between downtown Ogden and Weber State University and nearby McKay-Dee Hospital received funding Wednesday from the Utah Transit Authority board.

The study will look at two possible routes — mainly along either 25th Street or 30th Street — to connect the Ogden Intermodal Hub with Weber State and the hospital.

It also will examine two alternative transit technologies for that route, either a streetcar or BRT — sort of a TRAX on rubber wheels, where buses have dedicated traffic lanes and the ability to change traffic signals in their favor. Like streetcars, bus rapid transit sells tickets from vending machines at stations for quicker loading.

UTA currently has one BRT route on 3500 South in West Valley City. It is actively planning BRT lines between Orem and Provo and from Taylorsville to Murray. Many more are penciled in on long-range plans. Also, UTA is scheduled to open its first streetcar line in Sugar House on Dec. 8.

Agreements say the study could cost up to $845,410. It will be funded by seven different parties:

UTA • $442,705

Weber County Council of Governments • $252,705

Weber State • $100,000

McKay-Dee Hospital • $20,000

Utah Department of Transportation • $50,000

Ogden City, Wasatch Front Regional Council • Would contribute in-kind resources for the study.

UTA OKs study to evaluate best route and transit mode to connect downtown with Weber State.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.