Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah farmers say they need more foreign help
Guest workers » Harvest sometimes goes unpicked for the lack of hands.

< Previous Page

Williams said some exemptions already do that for sheepherders, allowing them to stay for up to three years.

McMullin said he would like to see more flexibility. Now H-2A workers can work for only one employer, doing one type of work — but he would like the possibility to maybe share workers with nearby dairies or flower-growing operations. "We’d like to be able to use them not only out in the field, but also in the processing plant," he said.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Rowley said the H-2A program would be more affordable for farmers if workers paid their own way from their home countries. He suggests allowing that, and also allowing them to work wherever they choose. "They will go to the places that offer the best housing. I think that would help us," he said.

Rowley said he now must plan up to a year in advance to jump through all the legal, advertising and other regulatory hoops to get people to his farm when he needs them.

"It could be a lot easier," he said.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.