Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune) "It's been a hassle for me," said Renate McKitrick. McKitrick, 90, emigrated to the United States from Prussia at age 2, and became a naturalized citizen at the age of 21. McKitrick was recently denied renewal of her Utah identification card because of discrepancies in her naturalization papers and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services say her immigration records located in national archive in a Missouri cave and will take until July to retrieve.
90-year-old woman denied Utah ID as feds search for immigration papers in ‘cave’
Immigration glitch » Feds won’t issue an ID to Utahn, 90; still searching for her papers in a Missouri storage.
First Published May 10 2013 01:01 am • Last Updated Dec 07 2013 11:31 pm

Call it From Prussia with No Love.

After living for 88 years across America’s heartland — Renate McKitrick called Kansas home, married an Air Force serviceman and votes Republican — the 90-year-old grandma has traveled from Ellis Island to immigration limbo.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

A naturalized U.S. citizen, McKitrick simply wanted to renew her Utah ID card at the South Ogden Division of Motor Vehicles office so she could vote and pick up medications. But stricter screening standards have plunged her immigration status into question, forcing the feds to scour the national archive — in a limestone cave in Missouri — to verify her citizenship.

She was told to check back in July.

"It’s dreadful that I’m being so harassed at my age with my handicap," says McKitrick, who suffers from macular degeneration. "I can’t see, I can’t walk very well. I just feel put upon. And I’ve lived here 88 years — always voted, paid my taxes, honored the flag."

With apologies to Ian Fleming’s James Bond novel, spying seems unlikely with this Washington Terrace nonagenarian.

Neidenburg to New York » Born in East Prussia, McKitrick came to Ellis Island in 1925 when she was 2, ferried by her mother, who was also toting her brother and sister. Her father left their German town for Indiana a year earlier to secure a job and house for the family.

McKitrick grew up in the Midwest. She married and lived with her now 91-year-old husband Bill in Herington, Kan., where he was stationed at an Army air field. The tiny town, in the middle of Middle America, still has a throwback drugstore that serves cherry cokes and vanilla shakes.

In 1946, in Herington, McKitrick received her naturalization papers. She says she’s never encountered another immigration question since.

story continues below
story continues below

Prussian or Polish? » When McKitrick turned 65, she needed her birth certificate to receive Social Security. Instead, she got a history lesson. In the post-WWII settlement, Neidenburg fell within the area of East Prussia granted to Poland, and the remaining German population was expelled.

The Social Security Administration tracked down the birth certificate — in Warsaw — but it was now written in Polish.

Back at the South Ogden DMV, 25 years later, the language barrier posed a problem. "They said nobody could translate the Polish so they couldn’t give me a permanent picture ID," McKitrick explained.

She was first told the state would provide a translator but then received a letter demanding she find her own. "I don’t know how to speak Polish or translate it or anything," McKitrick continued. "So we went back to the DMV to start over. We met a new lady and she told us there was a discrepancy in my naturalization papers."

Document mining » To be covered, McKitrick carries her naturalization paperwork, a copy of her mother’s passport and the Polish birth certificate. It’s no longer enough.

"The requirements are a lot different now," she shrugged. "It’s all because of this immigration that’s up in the air."

Verification, it turns out, carries more weight on a computer screen than the printed page. That’s because Utah uses the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements or SAVE system, which screens for public benefits eligibility.

Tim Counts, spokesman for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS), says SAVE is linked to Department of Homeland Security and immigration databases, but he notes dormant files — particularly for Ellis Island-era immigrants in the 1920s — would not be in the computer system.

"If it’s been decades, her status is retired in some storage facility — or on microfiche," Counts said. "It’s unsurprising that there would be nothing in our local office." So where to look? Try 60 feet below Lee’s Summit, Mo. where the National Records Center houses 4,000 miles of files in a bomb-protected, four-million-year-old limestone cave.

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.