Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Senator wants Utah to look at appointing attorney general
Politics » Senator wants a study on amending the Utah Constitution to have the top law officer appointed, not elected.

< Previous Page

Changing the way Utah’s attorney general is chosen would require a constitutional amendment, meaning it could not take effect until the 2016 election.

Weiler said he wants to ensure the Legislature is thoughtful and deliberate in studying the issue.

At a glance

Utah Constitution

Article VII, Section 1. (1) The elective constitutional officers of the Executive Department shall consist of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, State Auditor, State Treasurer, and Attorney General.

(2) Each officer shall:

(a) hold office for four years beginning on the first Monday of January next after their election;

(b) during their terms of office reside within the state; and

(c) perform such duties as are prescribed by this Constitution and as provided by statute.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"You always want to be careful," he said, "if you’re taking something away from the vote of the people."


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.