Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah jails can help with prison bed crunch
First Published Mar 05 2013 05:38 pm • Last Updated Mar 05 2013 05:52 pm

Utah Representatives overwhelmingly approved a resolution Tuesday encouraging the state to rely more on county jails to handle growing numbers of inmates and rising incarceration costs.

The Utah Department of Corrections currently contracts with 20 county jails, which together house more than 20 percent of state inmates. The department expects to use jails to handle future growth, which it estimates at 24 female inmates and 108 male inmates per year. Some counties — such as Beaver, San Juan, Kane and Millard — now provide substance abuse and sex offender programming. The resolution says that as Utah considers closing the Utah State Prison and building a new facility, it should also consider making more use of under-used and less costly county jails.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

— Brooke Adams

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.