Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Scouts’ honor: group quietly seeks share of tax refunds

Tax checkoff » Boy Scouts would be the only qualifying organization under criteria in legislation.

First Published Feb 28 2013 06:55 pm • Last Updated Feb 28 2013 10:58 pm

Utahns may soon be able to check a new box on state income tax forms to donate part of their refunds to the Boy Scouts — although debate Thursday in the Utah House did not initially make clear that Scouts are likely the only ones that would qualify for money from a proposed new state fund.

Still, the House voted 41-31 to pass HB145, which would allow Utahns to donate to a new state "Youth Development Organization" account.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Its sponsor, Rep. Steve Eliason, R-Sandy, said the Department of Workforce Services would distribute donations "to organizations that would meet certain criteria, among those would be [groups] that teach good character, citizenship, personal fitness and help young people make ethical and moral choices over their lifetime."

He did not mention that the bill also requires recipients to be tax-exempt organizations that have at least 180,000 members in the state — which happens to be how many Scouts are in traditional units in Utah, according to information Scout councils provided to the Tribune in 2011. It is by far the state’s largest youth group, with most of its units sponsored by the LDS Church.

When asked in debate if money would go directly to an organization or to a state fund, Eliason replied it would go to a fund and DWS would "then disperse the money to any organization that meets the criteria listed in the bill."

When Rep. Angela Romero, D-Salt Lake City, said a voter complained that Girl Scouts would not qualify and asked Eliason if that were true. He responded, "If the Girl Scouts met the criteria, they would certainly be included in that," and then added someone could run a different bill to include them if they felt strongly.

When TheTribune asked Eliason later how many groups would qualify for funding through the bill, he said he knew of at least three — and acknowledged "they are all Boy Scout organizations" — its three councils in the state. While he said the bill was designed to help them, other groups might also eventually qualify.

Eliason added state law does not permit raising money from tax returns for specific outside groups, but allows raising it for funds that are then distributed to qualifying groups.

For example, he said the Road Home shelter — for which he is a board member — is a recipient "of money from the Pamela Atkinson Homeless trust fund. But you will see the Road Home mentioned nowhere in the code."

Tax forms also currently allow donations to the Utah Nongame Wildlife Account, the Kurt Oscarson Children’s Organ Transplant Account, the Cat & Dog Community Spay and Neuter Program, the Methamphetamine House Reconstruction & Rehabilitation Fund, the Canine Body Armor Account and an account for donations to local schools.

story continues below
story continues below

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.